I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

5/07/2005

I am Sunshine's Mother

Working for an elected official calls for a great deal of self-restraint when dealing with the public. Considering the fact that I don't "like" people generally, I am proud of the fact that I have never fully lost my temper, and only rarely allow myself to even give any indication that someone has aggravated or annoyed me. Which makes a recent incident more amusing to me.

My second daughter works for an local attorney. She is an excellent secretary, but she is also a fairly no-nonsense person. Considering their clientele, her restraint is occasionally sorely tested. Her attorney boss and the intern who works summers with him call her "Sunshine" because she frequently vents to them about how irritated she gets. One of the things that bothers her is people who knock on the office door and then won't come in unless she says it a couple of times.

I was sitting at my desk in the office when someone knocked on the door. That doesn't happen very often. Most people have a grasp on the concept that a public office is open to the public. But not everyone. So I said, "Come in". Then I said it again. Then again. Finally the door opens and who walks in but my daughter's attorney boss and the intern.
I was surprised and very annoyed at the two of them, because they both have been in my office on numerous occasions and have never knocked before.

"What in the world do you two think you are doing standing there knocking on my door? Why didn't you just come in. You know better than that!"

Her boss looked at the intern and grinned. "See, I told you she was Sunshine's mother."

And proud of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|