I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

5/24/2005

I don't use vulgar language.

There are a number of reasons I am not given to the use of vulgar language.
My background as Southern, white female born in the fifties means I was taught that ladies who wanted to be respected didn't use bad language. Even though that particular way of life exists no longer, that carefully inculcated attitude still has it's place in my mind.
I work with the public in a government-related job and the use of bad language is considered inappropriate for someone connected to the judicial system when dealing with the public.
I am a Christian and of course we are never supposed to use those kinds of words. After all, what would people think? (Please make the effort to recognize sarcasm, however mild.) My language usage does not determine the reality of my faith or any lack thereof.
I do not use vulgar language around children. Children can't usually grasp the concept that there is a proper place, time and context for the use of bad language.
I don't like to use vulgar language as I have an extensive vocabulary and a great deal of appreciation and respect for the proper use of it. Among the purists of language, it is agreed that vulgarities have their proper place and usage, but the over-use of vulgarities is seen as a weakening of both the individual term and of the language as a whole. One of the prime values of a curse is it's usefulness in garnering attention because of the shock factor.

There are times when I do regret the restraints, both internal and external, that prevent me from verbally expressing the thoughts inside my head when dealing with someone who just doesn't want to hear what I am trying to tell them.

Perhaps if I could just bring myself to say to certain people, "You are such a f**king idiot!", the shock might cause enough of a jolt to their brain to make them think , "Oh gee, maybe I am!"

Because after all, I don't use vulgar language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|