I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

5/31/2005

They are not victims.

I posted this reply on Mexi's blog about leadership on May 24, 2005 (http://www.donotremove.net/mexigogue/archives/2005_05.html)
in response to some comments made about Bush's leadership and the body count resulting from the Iraq war. I was in an irritable mood and looking for a target, but all things considered, I was not as harsh as I might have been.
With Memorial Day and it's purpose in mind, I am going to expand on my original post, which was:

As to people whining and moaning about "the body count"--death is not a rare occurrence. It is the normal end for us all. Very few people get to choose the timing and method of their own end, so whether someone dies after suffering for months with cancer or has their body parts separated by a mortar round, dead is still dead. And I have serious reservations about the motives of the people who are doing the whining. Is it the thought of people in general dying that breaks their hearts and causes such anguish for them? Or is it only the ones dying because of the invasion of Iraq that they are concerned about? Or do they really not give a shit about those who have died? Are they just using the statistics to posture and pretend and play the blame game? People who join the military services ought to know that soldiers, airmen, sailors, Marines, etc. actually might have to take part in a war. Shouldn't come as much of a damn surprise. There are no conscripts, no forced entry into the services. As for their families, the decision to join rests with the individual, as does the responsibility for the decision. If the families have a problem with the facts, they need to take it up with the person before they join. The potential for dying because someone in charge makes a bad decision is a real one. But it needs to be faced before anyone signs their name, not whined about afterward. When you sign, you are making a commitment to your country. And it goes to the point Mexi and Phelps made. It is our responsibility to elect people who will do what is for the greater good, not someone who makes you the best promises.

The post was the result of my frustration with individuals who use the dead in order to complain about the president and his execution of the war. They try to turn servicemen and women into "victims to be pitied, poor souls done to death by the evil Bush and his evil plans". I resent people who use the military dead to take shots at a man they hate. I particularly resent that they do it under the pretense of caring about the troops. If they cared about the troops, they would understand that these people aren't victims at all and most of them would resent being considered victims.
My family on both my father and mother's side have a history of military service dating back to the American Revolution. My father served, my mother's brothers served, I myself joined the Air Force during the Vietnam war and my husband was on active duty for ten years and in the reserve for another ten. So I know.
Servicemen and women are trained to do a job. The majority of them take pride in their service and the service takes pride in them. They are not victims, they are strong, proud, well-trained citizens serving their country and to portray them as victims is a betrayal of all that they are and believe in. So for all of you so concerned that American men and women are dying in the service of their country, how about you just let it go? Don't use the deaths of people who deserve honor and respect for their sacrifice to justify your hatred of a man because his political and/or religious beliefs are different from yours. Just don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|