I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

6/21/2005

Did you know....?

Etymology is the study of language origins. I enjoy discovering how and where a word originated. There are sometimes interesting things to be learned.
The word "toad" is an example. It was first noted in Old English, but it is something of a mystery word. There are no known words in any other Indo-European language that is related to the word "toad". And since English is almost completely derivative, it's seems a little odd to me that it can't be traced back further to another source.
The word "toady", meaning synchophant, derived from the word toad. How the word came about is fascinating. It's short for "toad-eater". Itinerant quack doctors sometimes had a assistant or servant who pretended to eat a toad(which were thought poisonous) so that the doctor could administer his miracle potion and keep the assistant from dying. Thus, toady came to indicate a servile dependency.
Toadstools were named that because of their shape and the association between their poisons and the supposedly poisonous toads.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cosmic Siren said...

Hi. Just realized you had a blog. I was probably reading stuff too fast elsewhere to catch.

BTW, read the other entries and saw the pictures. You look good.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Cosmic Siren said...

Another BTW, I've added your ATOM feed (a blogger given) to my LJ list. If any of your other friend have Live Journals, they can go here and add it to their friends list too - http://www.livejournal.com/users/evenmina/

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|