I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

6/12/2005

Give it a good bashing

I got up early this morning and decided to spend some time on the computer before church.
I looked at a few things on the internet and then tried to open my e-mail.
When I tried to put in my password, I got an error message. I tried again. Same thing. I went very slowly and noticed that one of the keys wasn't printing. It wasn't sticking, but there was no keystroke showing when I hit the key. I opened Word and tried the key. It just wouldn't print. I tried all the keys and found that half of one row wasn't working. So I rebooted. Twice. I opened the control panel and checked the keyboard. I checked the system. I rebooted in safe mode. I ran a disk clean-up. I ran my spyware. Nothing worked. I was so frustrated.
I had already made my plans for today and now I was going to have to go to the computer store and buy a new keyboard.
I have always felt that if something is broken, my messing with it isn't going to make it any less useable than it already is. So I picked up the keyboard and banged it against the side of the desk three times. I rather enjoyed it.
And it worked. I put the keyboard on the shelf and tried it and all the keys printed. So I decided to write this.
There is a scene in the movie "The Longest Day", where the beachmaster is trying to move the troops inland and a vehicle stalls. The troops try to start it up again, but the engine had sea water in it and didn't want to start. The beachmaster, a dignified British gentleman, walked over, whacked the engine with his stick a couple of times and it started. He said, "My old grandmother always said things work better if you give them a good bashing."

Amen, brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|