I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

6/05/2005

Logic vs. Emotion

I have long considered the concept that a good artist has to "suffer" for his art to be somewhat silly. Skill, talent, ability are not dependent on emotion.
I am still not completely convinced that strong emotions enable an actor to act better, a writer to write better, an musician to play better, an artist to paint better. What I am discovering by blogging is that emotions do factor into the quality of what I write here, both in a positive and negative way.
The posts I have written without a strong emotional impetus do not have the same visceral impact as do the ones where my feelings were strongly involved. On the other hand, the ones with more emotional content require more correction as to grammar, syntax, and organization. I have also noticed that if I write about an emotional incident after some time has passed, it tends to lose some of the emotional impact, but it requires less correction.
Since blogging, for me, is first about self-expression and secondly about communication, I am having to reconsider my ideas about writing from an emotional standpoint.
Strong emotions interfere with my clarity of expression, but push me to write with speed and impact. But having a serious tendency to be obsessive-compulsive, I can't stand poor grammar, spelling, syntax. If I let myself, I would go back and re-read and re-write ad infinitum.
But overall, I think perhaps I ought to go ahead and write when I am under the influence of my emotions, just not post it. Correction can come after the words and feelings are down. I think I have learned that emotions are as important a tool as good grammar, spelling and punctuation. And I have always enjoyed learning something new. So good for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|