I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

6/18/2005

Summer Saturday Night Meal

I truly enjoy cooking. My mother usually prepares our weekday meals, but I cook on the weekend. I decided to make beef quesadillas for Saturday night. To complement the quesadillas, I decided on homemade salsa and fresh fruit salad with honey-lime dressing.
Here is the recipe for the salsa:
I make this often during the summer when tomatoes are plentiful. I tried to duplicate a salsa served at a small Mexican restaurant in a local strip mall. This is a recipe that can be modified in different ways to suit individual tastes.
Makes approximately 3 quarts.

3 lbs. Roma tomatoes, chopped (I like to chop them to about the size of half the tip of my little finger, not quite half an inch)
1 medium Spanish onion, chopped (I finely chop the onion, because I don't enjoy biting into large pieces.)
5 green onions, chopped (I just rough chop these onion, including the green stem.)
3 fresh jalapenos (Again, finely chopped. Jarred jalapenos can be substituted if fresh aren't available; use about a quarter cup, chopped)
5 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (add more or less as you prefer)
Fresh cilantro and parsley to taste, finely chopped (if fresh isn't available, use dried. Cilantro is strong, so be sure to use judiciously)
1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (these last three can also be adjusted to taste)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
10 oz tomato juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (this may need to be adjusted. I like a strong lime flavor)
1 4oz can chopped green chilies(use another can if you like)
1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and chilies(I only use half the can. I like a mild burn. If you use a full can, the burn is stronger. )
Remember that you can always add, but you can't take away, so add your ingredients with this in mind. It is easy to increase the flavors you prefer once you have tasted the salsa.
While this is good as soon as it is made, it only gets better as it sits. An hour is good, overnight is great.
If I am in a hurry, I will use bagged chips. If I have the time, I will buy the smaller flour tortillas, cut them into wedges and deep fry them so that I have fresh chips to eat with this great salsa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|