I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

7/30/2005

Associations

I have been limping for two days because of an slight injury to the joint of my left big toe. It aches constantly, but it really becomes painful when I walk and of course, I limp to keep my weight off it. I've noticed that the limp is different when the toe is injured, than if it were any other part of the foot. I tend to list inward and I have to work consciously to maintain balance. The oddness of my walk reminded me of something that I already knew and it kept working around in my mind until I was able to remember what was in there.

In the book of Judges in the Bible, there is a story of the defeat of a king of the Canaanites and the Perizzites by Judah and Simeon. The king's army was defeated and then verse 6 and 7 go like this--

But Adonibezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.
And Adonibezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered their meat under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died. Judges 1:6-7

When I first read this years ago, I thought it was a peculiar punishment for an enemy and being me, I had to find out why they did it. As it turns out, it was a logical, if crude, way of keeping your enemies from being able to fight again.
These were days of spears and arrows, of knives and axes and without a thumb, a man couldn't effectively use any of these things. But what my mind had been trying to remember was the part about the toes. The big toes were cut off because without them, a human being can't run or even walk very fast. I am having to work to just keep my balance. So to cut off the thumbs and big toes off of your enemies was a way of being certain that they won't fight against you again. In Chp 26, Book II of Montaigne's Essays, he also makes mention that Athenians used the tactic of cutting off thumbs of other mariners so they couldn't sail or use oars. The Romans exempted men from fighting who didn't have thumbs because they couldn't use weapons.


So once I was able to remember this , the nagging in my mind stopped. The information itself is useless, unless I end up in a position of having to make sure my enemies can't run or use a spear anymore, but I was pleased that I could make the connection between my peculiar limp and the somewhat trivial information I learned years ago, that what I had put into memory was still there and accessible with only a moderate effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger darcy14krysta said...

damn good blog, check out mine http://juicyfruiter.blogspot.com, comments always welcome!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Mina said...

Thanks for the positive comment. I went to your blog and read it. I was going to leave a comment, but I don't think you have the comment section enabled. If you come back here and check to see if I read you, I did. I will go back again.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|