I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

7/19/2005

Do I detect a pattern?

True story.
I rode down on the public elevator Monday at lunch time with a female, a male and three children. The female was complaining that the Judge had "yelled" at her for being just a few minutes late. I didn't pay a lot of attention to her until I talked to someone who had been in that courtroom.

She had been involved in a convoluted incident where group of about six men and women went to the house of some people they had a prior history with (interchangeable boyfriends and girlfriends), robbed them and beat the man and woman up. She had been charged with robbery and battery and her trial was to begin Monday morning in Superior Court. She was fifteen minutes late for court and the Judge chastised her strongly for being late for her jury trial.

This morning (Tuesday), I heard that she still hadn't shown up by 9:15 and the Judge was furious. Everyone, including the jurors, were just sitting there waiting for her. She finally showed up at 9:30 and was full of apologies. She promised the Judge it wouldn't happen again and he said she was damn right, because he was revoking her bond and she would stay in custody for the duration of the trial.

Well, after some consultation with her attorney and the Assistant District Attorney, she decided to accept the plea recommendation and plead guilty. As is standard procedure, the Judge offered her an opportunity to make a statement before sentencing. According to a person who was in the courtroom, this is what she said--

"Your Honor, I admit that I did help beat up that girl, but I
really didn't have anything to do with the robbery. You see, I got there late......"

The ADA dismissed the robbery charge.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cosmic Siren said...

That is too funny.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Peggy said...

Everyone around here who has heard it has had the same reaction.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|