I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

7/10/2005

Goat beards

Just a thought going through my head. My youngest daughter began calling goatees goat-beards when she was about 6. That was about the time they began to gain popularity. Over the years of course, they have become more and more popular and more common. I have asked men I know why they liked having them, but for the most part, I get a shrug and an "I don't know, I just do".

Then I read an interesting article in a psychology magazine. Their conclusion was that since women were moving into more and more traditional male arenas, more and more men were choosing to grow facial hair, since that was one area a woman couldn't encroach on and probably wouldn't want to , even if she could.
And for some reason, it made me feel sad and a little sorry for men. Males seem to need to openly display their manhood in order to affirm it to themselves, to other men and to women. There was a time when it was easy for them, because so many things were for "men only". Smoking, drinking, certain hobbies, certain tasks, certain jobs.

Is the innate ability to grow facial hair the only thing we've left for them to have for themselves as men? Why does that bother me? Is it because we have been so greedy to have more for ourselves that we have taken pretty much everything from them? If it is, then something is wrong with what we're doing. Or maybe the something that's wrong is the lack of consideration in the way we're doing it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Phelps said...

When I grew a goatee, it was because shaving was (and is) a pain in the ass. The hardest place to shave is the chin and upper lip (that is where the hair is coarsest and grows fastest) so I can cut my shaving time and hassle by 3/4 by just skipping that part.

The other thing to remember is that a goatee is all a lot of men can even manage. (I, on the other hand, could be Grizzly Adams in a few months. All the more reason for me to have a goatee.) I don't need a beard to mark my masculinity -- my permanent Homer Simpson shadow does that.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|