I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

7/09/2005

Things I haven't noticed in a while

I took my mother to the grocery store today. I only had to pick up a few things, so I got them and went outside to wait for her. Instead of getting in the car after I unloaded my groceries, I decided to just sit on the bumper and look around.
This is Georgia in July. High summer. I had bought a very cold coke and while I drank it, I noticed some things I haven't taken the time to see in quite a while.
There is an endless variety of green in the South in the summer. So many shades and tints and hues and shadows of green across the skyline. So much richness.
I watched the flight of a brilliant red cardinal and saw the distinctive flight pattern of lift and dip, lift and dip. I know that it is a survival tactic to throw off predators, but it is also beautiful to watch. Particularly when that red is highlighted against the greenness of the trees.
There were afternoon clouds building. Soft, cotton candy white against a delicate baby blue. Big, fluffy cotton ball shapes, shifting and floating slowly across the sky.
Someone nearby was cutting their grass. I could hear the buzz of the mower and smell the special fragrance of cut grass.
I could feel the heaviness of the humidity in the air and when I breathed in, it was almost like breathing water and the heat of the day was intense, but not uncomfortable. At least not to me.
I sat there and allowed myself just to enjoy for a few minutes this indulgence of the senses. Taste, smell, sight, texture, sound. And for those few moments, I was at peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

Now if you only had some boiled peanuts to go with that coke, huh?

Lovely post.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|