I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

8/26/2005

Spider Bread

Spider Bread-- this is a fried bread that everyone I have ever made it for just loves. It is addictive.

1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/8 cup powdered cinnamon
Mix these dry ingredients and stir in 2/3 cup milk.
Let this mixture sit while you heat vegetable oil in a fairly deep saucepan. Do not fill the sauce pan more than half full of oil. To test the readiness of the oil, drop a dab of the mixture into the oil. If it falls to the bottom and then immediately bobs to the surface again, the oil is hot enough. I set the burner on medium high(7). Not too hot or you will burn the oil and the bread.
By the time the oil is hot, the flour mix should have attained a sticky, not runny, consistency. If it is too runny, add more flour, a spoonful at a time, until you have a sticky batter.

Take a small spoon and half fill with batter. Drop carefully into hot oil. If the dough is right, you will probably have to give the little dough ball a push to get it off the spoon. You may notice that when the batter hits the oil, some of them grow "legs". For some reason, the batter spreads outward in little strands. That is why we call it spider bread.
Don't put too many balls in the pot. I use an 8" diameter pot and only drop in about 8 dough balls at a time. They should sink to the bottom, then come back to the surface fairly quickly. They should also roll over when brown on one side. If they don't, take a slotted spoon and help turn them. When they are golden brown, remove them quickly from the oil and put onto paper towels to drain. Again, be careful that the oil is not too hot and that the drops of dough are not too large or they will not cook all the way through.

We like to sprinkle them with powdered sugar while they are still hot. They never last any longer than the day I make them. I can usually get about 20 to 25 pieces.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Cosmic Siren said...

Bah! You got spammed it looks like.

Anyway, here's a recipe for you. It's based on a recipe I found several years ago and it's great for very tired and wiped out people who want something fast, but tasty.

My kids call it Mom's Mystery BBQ even though they knew what's in it.

I don't even measure most of the time, but I know the proportions and I'll give you some measurements to start with.

1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt, pepper and other spices to taste.

Either toss into a skillet of stew meat or cover cut-up chicken with it and bake it in a 13x9 pan. You can put some flour in it to stretch it out. Or you can just make more.

I think my kids call it "Mystery BBQ" because it's dry when I put it on, but we always get a good sauce by the time the meat juices have mised with it.

I like it because it's a lazy way to make a good bbq when I'm not feeling well.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Mina said...

I'm going to try your bbq recipe. Probably on a Sunday when most of my family is here.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|