I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

10/14/2005

Can you wrap your imagination around this?

There is a speaker in my office that lets me hear what is going on in the courtroom. I have learned to tune out most of it, at least to the level where it is just background noise. But occasionally, I will hear a comment that gets my full and immediate attention. This morning, it was from a defendant being charged with public drunkenness--

"Well, your Honor, it was Trivia night at Hooters."

My first thought? "Well, that must have been intellectually challenging."

3 Comments:

Blogger Phelps said...

We are constantly having to remind clients to STFU when they are in the courtroom and we aren't in session. "The walls have ears." Ha ha ha. "No, seriously, you have to assume that all these mics are live and that the judge is listening like a hawk. And that anything the court personel hears goes straight to the judge."

I wish I was allowed to smack some of them.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Phelps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Peggy said...

Sometimes I don't believe what I hear. The staff attorney, the court reporter and I all have speakers in our offices. I only turn down my speakers if a juror needs to use the courtesy phone in my office. The judge has a mute button on his bench and he's really careful during bench conferences about using it, so we don't hear those. Other that that, the speakers stay on and we sometimes hear the most amazing stuff. I leave mine on even if court is not in session, because I can tell immediately if someone comes into the courtroom.
We joke about writing a book and retiring on the profits, but wonder if people would really believe we were being truthful about the things that go on.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|