I Just Wanted To Say...

What is your problem?

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am me. More than I was, less than I will be. This is difficult. Facts-female, southern, mother and grandmother. Abstract-a Christian, a loner, intelligent, somewhat arrogant, impatient with stupidity, an unusual sense of humor.

11/28/2005

File under-How do they manage to survive on a day-to-day basis?

I was taking calls for another judge's secretary this morning. I thought I had some odd folks calling our office, but her calls go far beyond odd.

I'm sure when she comes back and talks to some of these people, she will hear about how mean a person I am. But it got to where I couldn't stand it.

Two instances:
First, a woman called and was mumbling so badly that I told her she'd have to speak up and speak more clearly. She got all offended and said "What do you mean "I have to speak up. I don't have to do what anybody tells me to."
"You will if you want me to be able to understand you."

Second, a call from a male who was calling for a female on probation. He talked about how she was having so many problems that she was even talking about committing suicide and he really needed to talk to the judge about it. By this time, I was tired of these people and I told him that if she was talking about committing suicide, he needed to talk to a mental health professional more than he needed to talk to a judge.

That may seem harsh, but it was correct. Add to that the fact that about once every two weeks, we get calls similar to that one. There are those who don't understand that once they plead guilty or are found guilty of a crime, there are only two options. Jail or probation. If you can't handle probation, then jail time is the only other option. When informed of that, most people seem to have a change of heart about not being able to handle probation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was blog hopping and came across this. I am a probation officer in TN and hear the same crap all the time:)

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|